Sick of This Counter

After another marathon day of sanding & mudding in the basement, my mother & I got to chatting about renovating the kitchen.

Seeing as we have 4 cabinets {all uppers} and a whopping 24″ of counter space {not including the island}, renovating the kitchen is an inevitable MUST DO.

It is not – however – critical or relevant to the current basement renovation and getting a tenant. Never the less, dreaming & measuring and tossing around ideas with my mom was a pretty awesome way to spend 2 hours.

When they left, at about 10:00pm, I was still browsing the internet for cabinets.

At 11pm, I decided to take our island from this –

kitchen island before

To this –

island sans bar

I don’t know if I can describe how much removing that useless overhang improved the traffic flow around the dining room table.

I only gained about 1′ of clearance but it feels 1 billion times better.

It’s something I’ve been thinking of doing since we moved in but never quite got around to it.

11pm on a Sunday just finally felt like the right time to take the plunge and I’m so glad I did. Now I just have to get a new piece of counter and finish what I impulsively started. Bets on how long that’ll take?

Have you ever started a project at a crazy hour of the day? Impulsively decided now’s the time and gosh darn-it you’re not gonna take ‘no’ for an answer!?

Advertisements
This entry was posted in 1st floor, kitchen and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Sick of This Counter

1. KMLiving says:

Does look a billion times better! It’s the START that STOPS most people…. Hooray for getting started!

2. Sacha says:

Good for you! And what a relief, huh?

I don’t know if I’ve ever done something that drastic at 11 PM on a Sunday night, but I know what you mean. Sometimes I get the gumption to tackle a task at the oddest time — “I just NEED to do this RIGHT NOW!” Is it inspiration to act or the procrastination of acting on something else? Hard to tell sometimes.

So proud of you. Good luck with a new piece of countertop.

3. Quinn says:

Some of my most successful projects were the spur of the moment ones, executed in the middle of the night!

Have you ever been to Habitat for Humanity’s Restore? It’s a treasure trove. You might find a counter for that island and the price is always right.

4. Brandi says:

I almost start projects impulsively. Sometimes, I’ll have just gotten out of the shower and I’ll need to remind myself to get dressed first before I start something big.

5. Ha! That’s exactly how I went about ripping down my popcorn ceilings.

People tried to stop me, but I also went overhang-less in my kitchen/ dining area. I just don’t see why you would need bar stools in a space right next to a table! Plus, it saved me $300 in granite not to have that overhang…

6. Kate says:

I haven’t done anything at such a late hour, but I’ve definitely started projects impulsively – it’s one to start them though! Even in just those two pictures, the lack of the overhang really opens up the space, whenever you do finish up it’s going to be great 🙂

7. Love those “wild hair”-type projects. Yay! Can’t wait to see what else you’ll be doing in there. I’m thrilled that you have more space in the dining area.

8. Martini Mom says:

All of my best projects have been impulsive, middle of the night projects. I think as my rational mind starts to get sleepy, my creative mind sees it’s chance and takes over! 🙂

9. MEA says:

What, like tearing down a wall on a Sunday at 5pm? Nope. Never 😉 Still my favorite headache/project!

10. Can I just say, “umm — your stove — like, wow”???

11. Pingback: A Quick Update « brick city love

12. Michele says:

Every inch counts in a tight space.

After a couple margaritas with friends I tore the 1960’s fake tile off the bathroom walls only to discover brittle, black, tar glue like substance behind it…..Big fun I tell you, major big fun.

I have learned my lesson, never done anything like that again, not! One kitchen floor, black tar stuff again. Steps leading upstairs, more glue under the carpet. You would have thought I had learned not to do impulsive stuff like this because there is always some sort of glue lurking and waiting to mock me.

13. Pingback: The Countdown has Begun |