Hey Goldilocks! What’s JUST right??

DSC_0738

After replacing our thermocouple, we had heat for the first time all season. That meant it was time to program the thermostat! But what would be good temperatures to set it at? Our previous apartment didn’t have a thermostat with degrees on it {just on & off}.

We know 52 degrees is TOO cold for us. But what’s just right? 66? 63? 68? We’re still playing around to find the right balance between comfort and efficiency. {A month without having heat does wonders for your gas bill, by the way!}

So what’s your perfect temperature?

Do you keep it cooler and layer to stay warm? Or you crank it up and walk around in tank tops & shorts?

Is it programmed lower while you’re not home? Or do your furry friends like it toasty even while you’re away?

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Mechanical / Utility and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Hey Goldilocks! What’s JUST right??

1. Heather says:

George has ours on 67 or 68 when we are home. He programs it to be on 65 from 7:00-4:00, when we are not home and to come on at 4:00 and to be on 68

2. Sharon says:

I have the same thermostat … I set it to come on at 6:30AM for an hour at 68, then it goes down to 60 when I am at work … back up to 68 when I come home and down to 60 to sleep.

Having a programmable thermostat is a real saver.

I usually sit with a throw on my lap anyway if I watch TV or read, so I would rather keep the house on the cool side.

3. buby says:

Most ppl in newark love that “project heat” which would be between 75 to 85 degrees. But usually that’s because most apartments control the heat and just have it blasting all day. I like it between 65 and 70 degrees. Put some sweats on and relax! 🙂

4. Mine is 68 or even 70. Ryan’s is 64. We usually go wtih 64 in the interest of the heating bill and I have several heated blanket to make up the difference. =)

5. Catrina says:

I am a stay-at-home/work-at-home mom with small kids, so we keep it around 70. We actually keep it at 70 at night as well until the little one will stay under a blanket at night. I’m probably paranoid, but I just don’t want to be woken up at night because he’s cold! In a couple of years we will probably drop it down to 65 at night. We also sleep with a whole bunch of blankets on our bed, but I know hubby tosses half of them off during the night!

6. Lily says:

I recommend 85 degrees, but that only really works if you have a fireplace insert in your livingroom.
    (Oh, I’m sorry…was that gloating?)
    😉

7. stephanie says:

it’s 87 and humid all the time here in guam. since the government pays for our electricity and such, andrew likes it at a crisp 72. sometimes i get too cold – but it’s better than sweating!

8. Katherine says:

I’ve had radiator heat for so long I don’t even know what it’s like to set a temp anymore. I’d say 72, but the last time that was my ideal temp I wasn’t paying the heating bill… as I was in high school.

Um — is it totally nerdy of me to start using an electric blanket?

9. kamharrisphoto says:

we have radiators.. so they never really get warm enough until we crank it up to like 76, and then it takes forever to cool down again… it’s fun.

usually we keep it right around 70

i think we have drafty windows… (off to find if you blogged about sealing windows, i think you did hah)